Thursday, June 2, 2011

Slap Frost Energy Review

Since I had nothing better to do, I decided to open up my fridge and try out another variety of Slap, I picked up all three at Wal-Mart a few days ago and the first one I had was pretty good. This drink was only 98 cents, which is one of the cheaper energy drinks I've ever had. "Red Rain" an energy drink you can find at some Wal-Marts (mine only has the Red Rain energy shots) supposedly only costs 48 cents, I read that somewhere but I can't remember where. Anyway, Frost is supposed to be Slap's primary flavor, with Crisp Apple being a secondary flavor. This drink is called "Frost" because it's supposed to provide a cool sensation in your throat while you drink it, like menthol cigarettes or something.


The Can:
Slap's can designs aren't bad looking, I like how the black box behind the Slap logo isn't completely colored in. The description on the back of the can says something about this drink providing a "cool sensation" while you drink it, I guess they make menthol energy drinks now too. The whole "cool sensation" thing is kind of pointless in my opinion. It's cool (no pun intended), but it's not 100% necessary.

The Drink:
The drink itself wasn't actually red, it was completely clear. Upon cracking upon the can and drinking some, it definitely had one of most weird flavors I've had lately. It had a strong "bite" to the taste like the original NOS, it wasn't quite as strong but it was definitely there. Other than that, it was kind of hard to place a flavor. I did feel a sort of cool sensation in my mouth and throat, the drink was ice cold before I drank it and it tasted pretty good, it's definitely a novelty though and it seems like it would get old pretty fast. There's a very odd fruit taste in the background that I really can't pinpoint. Don't think that this drink tastes like menthol club soda though, I think that anybody would like it and you kind of have to try it to understand what I mean. I give Slap credit though, it's not often that you find a cheap drink with a unique flavor, unfortunately. They did a good job being unique, but like I said before I think drinking these a lot could make them get pretty old, like having too much chocolate or something.

The Buzz:
This drink's energy blend contains Isomaltulose, Taurine, Maltodextrin, Caffeine, Niacin, Guarana, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride and Cyanocobalamin. There are 200 mg of caffeine in a 16 oz. can. This drink left that same cool aftertaste in my mouth even after finishing it and not long after finishing it, about 10 minutes, an energy buzz that was above average crept up on me. The buzz lasted a good amount of time and was enjoyable.

The flavor was interesting but it seems like I could get really tired of it really fast. It's pretty unique though and if you can find it I recommend trying it out. For only 98 cents, it's not horrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments here!