Wednesday, June 1, 2011

5 Hour Energy Extra Strength Energy Shot Review

When faced with the choice of finally getting to try this, or a regular berry flavored 5 Hour Energy shot, I had to choose this. I've always enjoyed products that claim to be "extra strength" and I like the bottle design of this one more. 5 Hour Energy has had commercials on TV practically 24/7 for the last few years and a lot of people have heard of them.



The Bottle:
The bottle design is definitely better than the original in my opinion, I don't think a super colorful design would work as well for an extra strength product and they got it just about right in my opinion. I think 5 Hour Energy was most likely trying to target the demographic of frequent Monster or Rockstar buyers since those come in black packages also. This shot was nearly $3, which is a rip-off. I see them sometimes in bulk packs and those would probably be a much better value than a single shot is. For some reason, a lot of energy shots, including this, say to get rid of the empty package after 72 hours. I had an empty energy shot bottle laying on my dresser once for longer than that and nothing happened, so who knows.

The Shot:
After waiting for a little bit after coming home from the store, I decided to open it up a give it a try. Energy shots usually taste pretty bad compared to energy drinks, but fortunately there's only about 2 oz. of it to drink. The bottle says that the shot is a "berry" flavor, which isn't very specific. I opened it and drank it down quickly and noted a very strong and extremely sweet berry flavor. To me, energy shots always taste really syrupy and this is no exception, but it was still very drinkable. The flavor wasn't that bad and I think that just about anybody could tolerate it, if not a glass of water after drinking the shot would do the trick.

The Buzz:
After finishing the shot I decided to go on a bike ride, I rode about three miles, 1.5 on the way to where I was going (nowhere in particular, honestly) and 1.5 miles on the way back. The route I take sometimes involves going up and down a lot of hills and I was eager to see if I felt as worn out after the ride. That's kind of an odd expectation, I didn't notice a huge difference and pretty much all on my mind was how much I wish I would of drank some water before leaving. After drinking some water, I decided to relax for a little while, but I felt a pretty strong energy buzz even after the bike ride. In the end, this shot did provide close to the solid 5 hours of energy it promised, and it wasn't horrible. I haven't had a regular 5 Hour Shot yet but there is a chance that I may pick this up in the future. There's no way I'll get one if it costs close to $3, but I may pick up a pack of two or four somewhere in the future.

I would recommend this shot to anybody looking for a little more energy than usual, it helped me out and was pretty effective, I enjoyed it. Still, I think I'll be getting a full sized drink at the store next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments here!