Friday, July 15, 2011

Red Thunder Energy Review

As you can see by the name of the drink, Red Thunder is a Red Bull clone. I picked it up at an Aldi's store in a 4 pack for $3.20 (Tax included). $3.20 for 4 energy drinks isn't a bad deal and Aldi's is well known for not only making knock-off brands but for also making them the exact same thing as the name brand, ingredients and all. For the most part, that's the case with Red Thunder. I picked up a 4 pack and decided to see if it was worth buying again in the future as a cheaper alternative to Red Bull






The Can:
The picture above and the actual cans I bought have the "new and improved" design on them. Red Thunder used to have a different can design that was mainly blue and red. The new design is alright but it looks kind of odd on an 8 oz. can. 8 oz. is smaller than a regular can of soda and these days most energy drinks come in 16 oz. cans. Still, Red Bull usually comes in an 8 oz. can so it makes sense that Red Thunder does too. The design looks sort of cheap but it informs you of the product and does what it's supposed to do.

The Drink:
I've reviewed about three Red Bull "clones" in the past but none of them actually tasted 100% like Red Bull. They all had very, very similar flavors to Red Bull but weren't quite as smooth. That isn't the case with Red Thunder because Red Thunder is Red Bull. There's no difference whatsoever, it's the same drink. It tastes the exact same and has the same amount of carbonation. If you've had Red Thunder you've had Red Bull and vice versa. If you've never had Red Bull, it's a strong tasting drink with a nice kiwi flavor. If you're reading my website you've most likely had Red Bull though.

The Buzz:
Red Thunder also contains the same ingredients as Red Bull. The only exception is that Red Thunder has Niacin and Red Bull doesn't. So, you're getting the same energy buzz as you would with Red Bull too. A can of Red Thunder contains 75 mg of Caffeine, it also contains Taurine, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12 and Pantothemic Acid. I drank two cans of Red Thunder right after each other and noted a nice lift in energy. One small can of Red Thunder doesn't seem to provide me with any energy but if I drink two than I definitely feel more energized. If you're not like me and don't drink a lot of energy drinks I recommend just drinking one can, one can should provide the average person with a decent lift in energy.

Red Thunder definitely isn't an original drink but it is a great value. It's literally Red Bull with the exception of the name and can design. If you're a big fan of Red Bull and there's an Aldi's nearby I recommend picking up a 4 pack of Red Thunder, it's a good deal.

19 comments:

  1. I 100% agree! The can is actually a tad bigger than Red Bull (8.4oz. Vs. 8.45oz) or something like that. The other difference is that Red Bull is mainly made in Austria, whereas Red Thunder is made in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red Thunder is the best, my coworker Eric once drank 5 in one day and then took a nap.

    @DC DREW , you're wrong it is 8.4 oz and I bought it in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually your both wrong....red thunder is a 4 pack of 8.5 oz cans at aldi...

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes it is actually 8.5 FL OZ each can (250 mL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Without the vodka, it's NOTHING! NOTHING I SAY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually Red Thunder USED to be a Red Bull clone. Years ago they switched from a citrus flavor to a berry flavor. Its still the closest I can find to Red Bull though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does not taste like red bull, youre whole site is rendered meaningless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Red Thunder but it does not really taste like Red Bull. I think Red Thunder tastes much better actually. I drink one every morning before work and have plenty of energy for the day and pay half the price of Red Bull! I definitely recommend Red Thunder to anyone and tell all of my friends about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. NO longer tastes the same. They just changed the ingredients, decreasing the sodium and the sugar content and substituted Niacin for the niancinamide. Not sure what else they changed, but now it has a slight malt flavor. My local store just stocked the new deviation. Not sure if I like the new taste. I guess I could get used to it. But it's time to re-write a new article as Red Thunder no longer tastes like Red Bull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IM GLAD IM NOT ALONE! I used to buy it all the time and stopped for a bit. purchased again and noticed the favor had almost completely changed. very disappointed.

      Delete
  10. I can only speak to the sugar-free variety, but sugar-free Red Bull and sugar-free Red Thunder still taste identical. I had them back to back and there's literally no difference in flavor. Not sure what the berry variation is all about, but it's the exact same product. And it's $2.49 (+can deposit) at Ferndale/Detroit Aldi.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The difference is there but almost negligible in the sugar free. It makes zero difference tho if you're eating anything at all with your drink. You gotta be sipping on it with no other residual tastes in your mouth to tell the difference, and honestly even if you DO taste the difference it's not a BAD difference. It tastes GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bought a pack of four yesterday for 2.39 at my aldi in florida, 8.5 ounce and they taste great and definitely work. Their energy shot versions are 59 cents and also work great. People can hate since theyre knock offs but these are the best money savers ive ever tasted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. red thunder vodka and crannberry 7 up yummy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Redbull taste nothing like kiwi,it tastes like vitamins.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It actually works..hve tried Red Bill an
    d I Think Red Thunder does the same work
    Red bull does if not better,n great value for price.

    ReplyDelete
  16. great price last long with it no heavy crash on this. an no headaches

    ReplyDelete

Share your comments here!