Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Pit Bull Energy Review

Pit Bull is a drink that I'd only seen one time at one store and the store actually only had one can sitting on a shelf. I saw it at the store months ago and when I went back it was actually still there, which means it sat on the shelf for about 3 months plus however long it was there before I saw it. Fortunately the can I got doesn't expire until December 2011, which is good. Since the drink was warm when I got it, I stuck it in the fridge. While the drink was getting cold I decided to check out Pit Bull's official website. Pit Bull is made by a company called "Hip Hop Beverages". The name "Pit Bull" really, really reminds me of another energy drink. However, that drink can be found just about anywhere while the single can of Pit Bull sat on a shelf in the back of a Rite-Aid store for months.

The Can:
Pit Bull's can is definitely one of the most unusual that I've seen lately. I think a cartoon Pit Bull with an angry face or just an angrier looking Pit Bull in general would look better than the Pit Bull on the front of this drink's can. It kind of looks like he just chewed up something and is being yelled at for it. Pit Bull's are known to be aggressive and tough dogs, I think they tried to show that with this drink's can but they didn't quite do it. The can's lettering is alright, the fence behind the dog looks alright but I think they could have done a better job with the fonts they used to design the can. Most of the text on the can is in both English and Spanish, which is a cool idea. While it's not the worst can I've ever seen, there's room for improvement.

The Drink:
I was actually surprised when I popped upon the can and drank some. Pit Bull's flavor is actually unique and pretty delicious. I thought that it might be a Red Bull clone at first but it has it's own unique flavor. The best way I can describe it is as Mountain Dew with a strong NOS-like background flavor. It's supposed to be a citrus, ginger-ale drink, which it pretty much is. The primary flavor is actually a lot like Full Throttle, I don't like Full Throttle that much because of how flat it tastes but this drink solves that issue with the strong flavor in the background. There really wasn't any bad aftertaste from this drink but that's not a huge accomplishment because I've had several energy drinks that don't have an aftertaste. Still, it was a pretty good flavor and it was on-par with other more commercial and popular energy drinks I've had.

The Buzz:
Pit Bull contains 750 mg of Taurine, 80 mg of Caffeine and 50 mg of Inositol. It also contains Guarana but the can doesn't list how much. Keep in mind that the can I drank was 16 oz, those numbers would be good for an 8 oz. can but for a 16 oz. can that's a little low. Still, when I had this drink I was tired and Pit Bull really woke me up. It did what it was meant to do and worked nicely. It wasn't the most extreme buzz but it did actually work.

Pit Bull's can is a little unusual but if you can find it I recommend trying it. The flavor is something different and the buzz is pretty good. If my local Rite-Aid ever gets another can for their shelf I'll probably buy it.

1 comment:

  1. Pit bull used to have horny goat weed in it which I thought was funny because it has a distinctive taste and it was hardly evident in this. The problem is they have high fructose corn syrup.

    ReplyDelete

Share your comments here!