Thursday, December 29, 2011

Lost 5-0 Energy Review

Wow, it feels great to be back reviewing energy drinks after a little few-month hiatus. I just couldn't put the 16 oz. cans, interesting flavors, and sometimes great, sometimes sub-par energy buzzes away forever. It sure has been awhile, and a lot has changed in my life. Still, I would say that I'm back full force and you can expect at least a few reviews per month from me from now on. If you actually check out this site and read the reviews I've written in the past, thanks. I love drinking and reviewing energy drinks, and since it'll be 2012 in a few days, why not write a few reviews to end a great year?Anyway, today we'll be checking out the first, and only, Lost drink I've ever had. Lost drinks might already be gone from your favorite convenient store now for good. I say that because I picked this drink up at Big Lots, the store where all energy drinks go to die.

The Can:
In the past I remember writing about how much I enjoy a nice, simple can design that still get's the job done. Well, Lost 5-0 basically takes that concept and throws it out the window. Lost 5-0 reminds me a lot of the people on reality television shows in the sense that it's a "hot mess". Some cans are so ridiculous that they make me laugh, this one doesn't quite do that but it's close. While the main color scheme in orange, purple and green somehow work their way into the mixture. Despite this, the can doesn't look that bad, it does a decent job of catching the eye and letting you know about the drink. Don't get me wrong, I do like the way the can looks and I feel that just about anyone would, it's just very "busy". Besides, I bought this for less than a dollar at the Big Lots near my house, so what can you expect? Oh yeah, there's also some text on the back of the can about how the Government is watching you, and about how "The Truth Hurts". I really wish that I was concerned about the Illuminati and other nonsense while drinking an energy drink, but unfortunately I"m not. But I do give Lost a thumbs up for trying to inform somebody that purchases half-year old energy drinks from Big Lots about the "All-seeing eye" , or something.

The Drink:
The Lost brand is owned by Hansen's, the same brand that owns Monster. I've had just about every Monster drink at one point and wasn't surprised at all when I had this. Monster Khaos, one of Monster's "Energy + Juice" offerings is actually where this drink derives it's flavor. I had Monster Khaos a few times but they were all awhile ago, so I can't go all the way and say that this is the same drink. However, it's pretty close if you ask me.  The flavor isn't directly "orange" (I've written so many times about how there's no such thing as a defined "orange flavor"). It has sort of a pineapple taste in the background, and an odd consistency for an energy drink because it's 30% juice.  The taste is ok, I feel that if you drink an energy drink every once in awhile you could easily tolerate it. However, you might be turned off if this is your first energy drink. It certainly wasn't my first ,that's for sure.

The Buzz:
5-0 contains all the things you've come to expect in energy drinks; Taurine, Guarana, Caffeine, B-Vitamins, amongst other things. Unfortunately the can doesn't list the caffeine content of the drink, so it's pretty much a guessing game. I was a bit tired and worn out when I purchased this, and after drinking it I guess I did feel a nice little lift in energy. It's nothing spectacular, and it's not non-existent. For the casual energy drink consumer, this drink should undoubtedly satisfy your energy drink craving. However, you won't be bouncing off the wall and depending on how much caffeine you consume you may not feel anything at all. In short, the buzz this drink provides in about average.

I do recommend giving Lost 5-0 a try, it's drinkable, gives a decent buzz and is cheap. However, since I got it at Big Lots quite awhile ago, you might never see it in a store near you, but don't think you've lost the opportunity to drink an amazing drink (No pun intended..or something).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments here!