Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Amp Boost Cherry Energy Review

I have to admit, I've really been putting off reviewing all of the new Amp drinks that I've had. I also have to admit that I just consumed a new energy drink, which I'll review eventually, to hopefully help me get all of these reviews done. Anyway, the cherry variety of Amp's new Boost offering is more than likely intended to replace Overdrive, which was Amp's old cherry flavor. Blue has always been my favorite color, but there's something about red energy drinks that I like. Not drinks that have "red" in the name, as those all tend to be a rip off one another somehow. I initially picked up three of the new Amp flavors at once, with this being on them. I can't lie, despite how I've felt about Amp in the past I was pretty excited to have a bunch of new energy drinks to review. Anyway, let's see if Amp's new cherry offering is any good , or if it can "elevate my energy" like their website says. It also says that this drink can help me by giving me the kick I need to tackle the early morning meeting, the 3-hour working lunch, and my kid's after-school recital. Also, it says that I should "get out there, and make us proud". Well, thanks for the pressure. Besides, the reason I drink an energy drink every morning isn't to make it through any meeting. It's so I don't feel like I'm going to die by 2nd period in school, and to prevent the caffeine-withdrawal headaches I get all the time. But nonetheless, let's see how this drink can compete in the can, taste, and buzz categories.

The Can:
I really like the shade of red they picked out for this can, and I find it to be a bit "dim" compared to the other Amp I had before this. All of these cans in this line follow the same basic outline as with pretty much anything, and the only difference you'll find is in the color, some text on the can, and obviously the drink inside. I like these cans substantially more than the old ones, and I can't really find anything to complain about with them.

The Taste:
I originally (and admittedly, rather poorly) described Overdrive, Amp's original cherry flavor like this:

"Mountain Dew Code Red is one of my favorite varieties of Mountain Dew, but despite being red and being made by Mountain Dew, Overdrive doesn't taste much like Code Red. Instead, it does have a cherry flavor but the cherry almost becomes an afterthought after the strong Mountain Dew taste and the other odd aftertaste this drink leaves in your mouth."

Now, something I've noticed with each of these new flavors is how much more "crisp" they taste, at least to me. I also feel like the Mountain Dew taste is pretty much gone. So, what you can expect with this is basically a somewhat artificial cherry flavor that is fairly drinkable. I've been enjoying reading the complaints on Amp's Facebook page about all of these new drinks, and I can't say I blame people for complaining. Amp was never really never my thing, but I would be angry if all of my favorite drinks completely changed too.

The Buzz:
This drink contains all of the familiar energy drink ingredients including caffeine, taurine, guarana, B vitamins, and ginseng. Simply put, this drink is effective in the exact sense that you would expect it to be. I felt a fairly substantial lift in energy from it, and was satisfied. This drink acts as you would expect to, and I would say that it's definitely in the middle of being completely ineffective and way too extreme.

To conclude, this drink is alright. I can't really find anything major to complain about with it, but I do understand not liking the drink if you were a die-hard fan of the old Amp flavors. Anyway, this drink is definitely worth a try if you feel like trying it. I liked it more than I recall liking Overdrive the first time I had it.

2 comments:

  1. Yes the new amp Flavors do suck! I bought amp Overdrive like twice a day, a few at a time, ect.. i hate the new cherry flavor. Way to RUIN my mornings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cherry is pretty damn good

    ReplyDelete

Share your comments here!