Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Monster VR46 The Doctor Energy Drink Review

Name: Monster VR46 | The Doctor
Size: 500 ml. (16 oz.)
Caffeine content: 160 mg. per can
Energy blend: Caffeine, Taurine, L-Carnitine, Panax Ginseng Extract, Guarana Extract, Glucoronolactone, Inositol


(Note: This guest review was submitted to The Energy Drink Resource by Chris, who is a fan of energy drinks and The Energy Drink Resource. This drink isn't available in America, and makes for a nice addition to our list of energy drink reviews that I would never be able to try! Chris is also looking to try Monster's Heavy Metal variety, which I haven't had in a long time and can't find anymore. If you can help him out, email energydrinkresource@gmail.com.)

Where to start with this? It seems like America gets so much more Monster flavours than the UK and anywhere else combined in the whole world. Recently however, the UK have began to catch up.We finally got Monster Assault, and I loved it as it tasted like cherry and was my favourite Monster drink. Assault has however been surpassed by a seemingly European-exclusive Monster drink.

This drink is called Monster VR 46 | The Doctor. Before anyone asks, VR basically stands for Valentino Rossi, the legendary Italian, multiple-time Moto GP World Champion. In 2009, Rossi agreed to a sponsorship deal with Monster Energy which to this day is still ongoing. In celebration of Rossi's career and achievements in Moto GP, Monster brought out this exclusive drink. It was originally only available on eBay or on The Isle Of Man to promote The TT race. Since September 2014 however, it seems that UK supermarkets have brought out this product for normal retail sale. The only supermarkets I've known to have this in stock were Tesco's or Co Op, but since I am located on The Isle Of Wight, only Co Op had this product in-store. They currently have this on offer for just £1, which I think is just over $2 in American Currency though I could be very wrong on that (it's about $1.25). The product is so popular that it has sold out very quickly, and Co Op usually has to wait a few days for their next delivery.

Can/Design:


The design of the can itself is absolutely fantastic. I like how bright and yellow the can is, makes you feel like you're not actually having an energy drink but more like a Fanta instead. The can has Valentino Rossi's initials VR, and then his Motorcycle number which is 46. His nickname, "aka The Doctor" is also on display in rainbow colours on the can, the design is probably Monster's best yet.

Taste:


Now for the taste of the drink, which everyone wants to hear. At first when I sipped it, I got this nice lemon taste, however after a few more sips it was completely overpowered by a rather powerful orange taste. I could see Monster was trying for a citrus flavour here, however the orange flavour completely overpowers it's lemon counterpart.


It is very unusual of Monster to go for such a fruity combination, however I have seen this attempt before on Monster Khaos which apparently had "real" fruit flavouring.

Energy:


The energy this variant of Monster gives is overwhelming, and I almost got double the energy that I would from a normal Monster. I don't know if this version has extra caffeine in it, or if it was just one can having more caffeine than it should. Though, the can says, "High Caffeine Content" anyway! But, not specifying exactly how much. Hmm. The energy was enough to keep me up throughout most of last night, and as a result I didn't fall asleep until 4 in the morning. It was certainly able to keep me going doing everything I needed to do, and I never at one point felt tired or drained after consuming the drink until the energy wore off after roughly 6 hours. At £1 for this, I certainly can't complain and I'd rather get this than Red Bull any day. Same price, but double the contents with Monster!

Overall, despite it's failed attempt at creating a rich and delicious citrus flavour, I give this drink a 9 out of 10. It was so good that I bought 20 of them over the course of 3 days. My local Co-op in Shanklin actually sold out of them in about 3 days, but I reckon I bought most of the stock!

2 comments:

Share your comments here!