Sunday, February 19, 2012

Rockstar Xdurance Energy Review

I really enjoy finding new energy drinks to review, but I especially enjoy finding new energy drinks that are actually pretty new to the market also. Rockstar obviously isn't a new brand, but Xdurance is a pretty new variety of Rockstar that I've been meaning to try for awhile. So, while enduring yet another shopping trip at the Marc's grocery store near my house (Of course, I had to have a cup of the free coffee they always have there) I picked up a can from the cooler to review. I really hope that this drink doesn't taste as bad as the Coconut Water variety of Rockstar which as far as I know was released at the same time as this.



The Can:
As somebody that's been drinking energy drinks for quite some time now, I've had mixed feelings about several of the energy drinks that have been released lately. As I've said before, the whole "hydrating energy drink" thing kind of took off not long after I started this website and I've tried my best to review a lot of new "hydrating" products. This is different from a Rockstar Recovery drink, but still contains Electrolytes and advertises Branched Chain Amino Acids. Now, the can designs on these new drinks are kind of what I've been thinking about. It's almost inevitable that I'll see energy drinks somewhere at least once a day, I don't drink one everyday but I always see them. At just about any given store, you have your energy drink staples such as Monster, Red Bull, NOS etc. I don't know why, but it's almost hard to see this drink or the few similar drinks like it being around for long. The can design seems like something for "right now", if that makes any sense. Sure, I reviewed the Rockstar Recovery drinks when they came out but now I really never even notice them at the store, nor do I think about buying them. As for the can design, it's a nice looking white, black, and blue design. It's a bit busy in my opinion, but it contains all of the expected information and you can easily recognize it as a Rockstar product. Although, the drink is a Blueberry Pomegranate Acai flavor and aside from the minimal blue on the can I really don't see how you would think that unless you see the pretty small text near the bottom of the can.

The Drink:
I was kind of looking forward to seeing what this drink tasted like because I've always liked blueberry flavors in general. When I opened the can, I definitely smelled blueberry and when I took a drink I tasted it also. As with a lot of energy drinks that contain electrolytes, the flavor is kind of rich. It has a Gatorade-like taste in a way which makes perfect sense because of the electrolytes. It was drinkable and was better than I thought it would be, it's a nice blueberry with a nice pomegranate background flavor as well. I've had better, but if you're looking to give this a try you should have no trouble drinking it.

The Buzz:
The whole idea with this drink is that it's "performance energy". The can even says that it will provide an "incredible energy boost to maximize mental and physical performance". Still, I can't tell if this is supposed to be stronger than a regular Rockstar, or is it supposedly just a different kind of energy? The original Rockstar's energy blend contains 1.35g, as opposed to this drink which contain 1.245g. In this particular drink you get 1000mg of Taurine, 120mg of Caffeine (150mg in original Rockstar), 25mg of L-Valine, 25mg of L-Leucine, 25mg of L-Isoleucine, 25mg of Green Tea Polyphenois, and 25mg of Guarana Seed Extract. To make a long story short, this stuff works. I felt way more awake after drinking this, and I can safely say that it did what it was supposed to. As usual, I didn't experience jitters or a crash and I was fine. You get what you expect from this drink, and it's pretty good.

Well, I can definitely conclude that this is a much better drink than Rockstar's Coconut Water, at least to me. It tastes pretty good and provides good energy which is of course what it was meant to do. So, for the sake of it being a new and fairly easy to find product (at least to me, and I'm seeing it at more and more places.) you might as well give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments here!