Monday, February 27, 2012

Red Strike Energy Review

It really never ceases to amaze me that I've found and continue to find so many of these drinks. Red Rain, Red Thunder, Aftershock, and several other drinks that I've had are all pretty much the same. Something that differentiates Red Strike from a few other drinks of it's kind is the fact that it's the kind of clone drink that tries to market itself as one that's not. They have a Facebook page which I've seen and they're actually going to change their name to "Quick Strike". Red Strike is made by Cott Beverages, a company that makes a few other drinks I've reviewed and also a generic pop that they sell at Wal-Mart that's called Cola. It legitimately is just a blue can that says "Cola" on the front and it tastes "swell". I did get this at Wal-Mart but I didn't pay for it in the store. I didn't steal it either, I actually bought it at the gas station in front of the Wal-Mart near my house. The kind where the one employee freezes to death in the booth they stand in and outside of the booth are a bunch of coolers, and when you pay you get to talk to the employee from behind a wall of glass. There was a whole cooler full of Red Strike drinks and when I saw that they were a reasonable price I decided to pick one up.

The Can:
Despite how the picture above looks, the can is mostly silver and not white as it appears in the photo. I don't know what to think about how the design just kind of veers off and meets in the middle, leaving a bunch of empty silver space. The front of the can also says "Contains Taurine & B Vitamins". Wow, what a treat. The can says "Regular" near the top too to let you know that you didn't accidentally buy the irregular version or something I guess. The can isn't completely bad nor is it something I think most will notice, but I definitely think it would look a lot better with a design that covers the whole can though.

The Drink:
The guy working at the gas station outside of Wal-Mart actually kind of told me what this tastes like when I bought it and it shouldn't be that hard to guess. Red Strike is just a Red Bull clone, not surprisingly whatsoever. It's not a bad taste in my opinion but it's also not original at all. You get exactly what you would expect to get, and at least you get a nice 16 oz. of it for a reasonable price compared to paying more for only 8 oz. of Red Bull.

The Buzz:
As the front of the can says, this drink does contain Taurine and some B Vitamins. It contains 960mg of Taurine per 8 oz, and the can doesn't list the exact amount of caffeine. The buzz that this drink provided was on par with my expectations, I felt more awake for a substantial amount of time and the drink did what it was supposed to.

I find that reviewing these sorts of drinks get's boring because they barely change from one to another. If you spot this at Wal-Mart you might as well try it for a cheap Red Bull alternative. Like I said, Red Strike is the kind of generic energy drink that markets itself like it isn't. Their Facebook page is full of models, T-shirts and a few claims about how amazing the drink is. Well, to me it's just another Red Bull clone and I feel that that's all that it needs to be.

1 comment:

  1. down here in Texas the walmart gas station attendants sweat to death....well anyway i discovered red strike yesterday and i was super impressed! the taste was indeed that familiar energy drink taste, but i ain't complaining. the simple fact that it was full dollar cheaper than the monster i was about to lay my hands is a huge aspect in my opinion. i was very hesitant because at first i thought, if it is a dollar cheaper, how the hell is it going to taste? but it was delicious.

    also just discovered your site researching red strike. great site! wish i had found it a while ago! now i never have to go anywhere else if i want a new energy drink.

    ReplyDelete

Share your comments here!