Monday, September 29, 2014

Gurrnaid Root Beer Vitamin Infused Energy Review


Name: Gurrnaid Vitamin Infused Energy Drink (Root Beer Flavored)
Size: 13.7 oz
Caffeine content: 125 mg per bottle
Calories: About 180 per bottle

Gurrnaid Energy is a new-ish energy drink company that makes drinks that are appropriately packaged in grenade-shaped resealable bottles. On far too many occasions, I've been behind the wheel in a ridiculous race to somewhere extremely important, such as a local convenience store, and in my fury sent a great deal of potential energy-providing liquid spilling all over my lap. Thanks to Gurrnaid, however, the possibility of spilling the drink everywhere is eliminated as long as you know how to screw the cap on and off. I've actually always really liked the idea of resealable, bottled energy drinks as long as they don't taste like the bottle that they're contained in or are just awful in general. Gurrnaid seemed legit and unique enough, and I was pleasantly surprised and excited to review an energy drink that was clearly trying to make it's own identity amidst all of the "clone" drinks out there.

Gurrnaid bottles are 13.7 fl oz. and, as I said, are grenade-shaped and resealable. I actually genuinely like this idea and marketing. If this drink were readily available anywhere and it caught my eye somewhere, I'd probably fall for the marketing and pick it up based on it's packaging alone. It clearly states, "125MG CAFFEINE PER BOTTLE" on the front of the bottle, which is helpful. I personally dislike when energy drinks don't list their caffeine content, and can understand other consumers, caffeine-addicted or caffeine-beginner, feeling the same. That's obviously no problem with Gurrnaid, though, as it's clearly labeled amongst the brown, white, green, yellow, and black design. The design ultimately works, and looks like a lot of thought was put into it. I can't really find any complaints with the design. The brown may be odd elsewhere, but is entirely appropriate as the drink contained inside is root beer flavored.

Root beer was probably the first soda that I ever had, but was far from from the first energy drink flavor that I tried. I've actually only had one other root beer flavored energy drink before, and opened this drink in anticipation that it would actually taste like root beer and not some contortion of the flavor that could somehow be interpreted as "root beer". No worries, though, as it tasted just like root beer. That's probably going to be the depth of my flavor-description, as you probably know what root beer tastes like. I found it very smooth, enjoyable, and easy drinking. I can only see not liking this under the conditions of hating root beer and energy drinks. For a drink labeled as "root beer flavored", it was pretty root beer flavored.

If anything, I was most weary about the energy that this drink would provide. "125MG CAFFEINE PER BOTTLE" isn't an awful amount for 13.7 oz. There are about 2 servings in one bottle, and I obviously drank both in one sitting. Not long after, I was met with a satisfying and anticipated energizing effect that delivered everything that I intended it to. It didn't fall flat, and didn't make me feel like "exploding" on somebody or something in a gurrnaid-like manner. It delivered quite nicely, with no crash, and woke me up appropriately after the vast strain of screwing-and-unscrewing the bottle a few times in the process of drinking it.

I'm impressed with Gurrnaid's attempt at creating a new product. It's, in all honesty, pretty well put together and could probably gain quite a following based on a combination of all of it's redeeming qualities. If you hate root beer, don't drink this. Otherwise, I can actually say that I recommend it.