Saturday, March 10, 2012

Monster Ubermonster Energy Brew Review

This is without a doubt the most exciting review I've had the chance to do in quite some time. When I was informed of this drink, I really wasn't sure what to think of it. However, when I saw it at the store I immediately had to pick it up and buy it. While I've bashed Monster here and there in the past, this drink is just the kind that I can't pass up. It's going to be a big deal soon, and I'm glad that I got the chance to try it. Monster has undoubtedly released thier fair share of new products in the last year, and whether they were unique or not they've all been somewhat interesting. Ubermonster is a "Bio-Activated, Non-Alcoholic" energy drink. This drink is essentially a fermented malt base, which while "Alcohol-esque" is still Non-Alchoholic.


The Bottle:
Yeah, I've found flaws in Monster packaging before, but you really can't deny that this bottle is just badass. It's a 16.9 oz. glass bottle with a pry-off cap. It has a nice wide mouth on the top which the back of the bottle says is "chug friendly". The wide mouth is somewhat similar to Mickey's Big Mouth Malt Liquor, but unlike Mickey's the length of this bottle matches how wide the top is and the bottle ends up looking fairly normal. The usual informational text on the back of the bottle says that Monster "borrowed" a German brewing process, which is interesting. All in all, I honestly love this packaging and would go as far as to say that this is one of the best looking drinks I've ever had. This bottle is impossible to miss amongst the other Monster drinks at the store and it really stands out. It's really not what I'm used to seeing with an energy drink, but it looks great.

The Drink:
Upon using a bottle opener to open this up, I smelled that familar Monster scent and as I sit here writing this review with the bottle in front of me that I had two days ago I can still smell it. An article I read on this drink said that this drink is "ultra premium", and while drinking this it was hard to think otherwise. It's hard to explain, but this does taste similar to regular Monster but I feel that it's better. I know it's partially due to the glass instead of a metal can, glass can make certain drinks taste better in my opinion. The fermented base gives this drink a very crisp taste that I found exceptionally smooth and enjoyable. I would say this is almost like an improved version of regular Monster, and has more of a "rich" feel to it, if that makes sense. It was very drinkable, and any fan of the Monster taste should find it very enjoyable.

The Buzz:
It would be understandable to forget that you're drinking an energy drink when drinking this because of the packaging. Most people are used to the infamous 16 oz. can which has been and will most likely remain to be the standard for energy drink packaging. I kept in mind that this was an energy drink however and while drinking it took a look at the energy ingredients on the back of the bottle. This drink contains a fairly standard 2500 mg Monster energy blend which contains Glucose, L-Carnitine, Caffeine, Inositol, Glucoronolactone, Guarana, Resveratrol, Quercetin, and Maltodextrin. There's also 1000 mg of Taurine and 200 mg of Panax Ginseng. After drinking this, I definitely felt a buzz which really kept me going for the rest of the day. A few Monster drinks seem to provide very noticeable energy buzzes and I wouldn't call this an exception. The buzz lasted for a few hours and was very nice. It wasn't sub-par nor was it a near death experience, it was just right. I didn't "crash" as usual and I found the drink very satisfying.

If you plan on purchasing this, please keep in mind that it costs almost $5. I'm the kind of person that likes to pick up an energy drink before work or school and I really don't see this being the kind of drink that I buy all the time. I do, however, see this being a nice drink to pick up every now and then. I don't think Monster plans to market this as an energy drink for the person that's on the go, but rather a premium energy drink that really is a fine edition to the drinks that have been released in 2012.

12 comments:

  1. You cant get the damn cap off. A normal bottle opener wont work on it. its such a hassle just for something to drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cap is a bit of a pain to get off, I used a bigger bottle opener to get it open but I do think Monster could use a similar cap but make it twist-off instead so it's easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you find this? I've been looking for it everywhere and can't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this is at a Marathon gas station in Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you know exaclty where these are avaliable besides marathon?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard they are coming out with their own special UberMonster bottle opener, which should look bad ass!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bottle opener is a nice idea, and I actually haven't seen this anywhere else than at Marathon. It's pretty new though so I'm sure it'll show up at other places sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cap is SUPPOSED to be hard to pry off...that's the point...didn't you read the label? lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Find anyway to open it like a pro ;) an if you can't open is you're not allowed to drink it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Got it from a liquor store.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i saw this at big lots for $1.75

    ReplyDelete
  12. All you really have to do is twist the bottle cap with your hand to open it lol; you actually don't need a bottle opener; its pretty easy

    ReplyDelete

Share your comments here!