Saturday, March 24, 2012

Rockstar Iced Energy Review

To this day, I always tell people that the original Rockstar is my favorite energy drink. When I first started drinking energy drinks, it was the first drink I bought more than once and I always really, really liked the flavor. A lot of people I know and a lot of people that you probably know also think that Monster is the best. Everyone always says that Monster is better than Rockstar, and of course these people are only familiar with the very commercial energy drinks and not the weird, rare ones that I seem to have an uncanny knack for finding. Anyway, when my favorite energy drink brand releases a new drink, I have to try it. Rockstar Iced is another one of Rockstar's new drinks this year, and it's safe to say that it was released to compete with Monster Rehab. I've written about this before, but I clearly remember when the "energy tea" craze took off about a year ago. I remember walking into my favorite store and seeing a big display of Monster Rehab cans, and I remember taking advantage of a special they had where you could get three cans for a special price. So, let's see how this new energy tea offering can compete in the can, taste, and buzz categories.

The Can:
I've always been a fan of Rockstar's cans. When I started drinking Rockstar, they had already changed the design to the "off-center" design they have now, and not the original design they had before. Sometimes I think about Rockstar's cans being designed differently, to where you don't have to turn he can to feel like you're looking at it the right way. Still, I've always liked thier designs and I really think they have a way with putting out nice looking cans. Some say they're cluttered, but I like them. This drink is no exception, the can is an appropriate gold and black, with a special sort of finish on the can which I believe it similar to Rockstar's Energy Cola drink. The can states that this is "Energy+Tea+Hydration", so it's similar to Rockstar's Recovery drinks. I really like the can, and it contains all of the familiar Rockstar can elements, such as the text to the right of the Supplement Facts box and the "American Made" thing under it. This drink contains "No Juice", which is what the can says instead of "0% Juice". All in all, this can looks great. The colors match the drink, it's put together nicely and just looks like a fine addition to the Rockstar line.

The Drink:
When I cracked upon the gold tab on top of can, for some reason the smell reminded me of the way NOS smells in a way. It's obviously very important to note that this is a "Peach+Tea" flavor, so that's what I was expecting when I opened it. This drink does definitely have a "peach+tea" flavor, but I found the aftertaste a bit odd. The peach is definitely there, and I would say that it is the main flavor with the tea sort of being a background flavor. But, this drink has a sort of vitamin-like aftertaste which was a bit off-putting. It didn't ruin the drink, but it made it taste a little odd. Still, I found the drink fairly consumeable. I definitely wouldn't say that it's my new favorite energy drink, but it wasn't awful. Definitely be aware of the aftertaste, but if you like peaches and tea, you should be all set with this drink.

The Buzz:
Per serving, (two servings per can, obviously) this drink contains 1000mg of Taurine, 120mg of Caffeine, 50mg of Panax Ginseng Root Exract, 25mg of Inositol, 25mg of L-Carnitine, and 25mg of Guarana. In total, this drink's blend contains 1.25g as opposed to the original Rockstar which contains 1.35g. I made this one of my "early morning" energy drinks, and had it not long after I woke up. Not that I don't sleep, but like anyone I'm still not entirely awake when I wake up. So, that's where some of these energy drinks come in . In short, this drink got me going for the day without a doubt. I found this drink exceptionally potent, which is becoming kind of rare for me these days. I felt very awake, and through my "morning routine" I felt great. Unfortunately I don't run marathons or eat a bunch of salt at nine in the morning, so it wasn't really like I was dehydrated when I drank this and really can't speak for the hydration part of it. If it matters, I wasn't really thirsty after I drank it though. This drink really worked, and the buzz lasted for a solid 3-4 hours for me. It was a pretty good buzz, and I found it rather enjoyable.

The only downside I can think of with Iced is the somewhat gross aftertaste. Other than that, if you like tea flavors and potent energy buzzes you should pick this up. I thought it was pretty good, and I enjoyed it. I recommend it, just since it's not bad and is also fairly new. Rockstar's new drinks have been good, with the exception of the Coconut Water one, yuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments here!