Sunday, July 15, 2012

Monster Heavy Metal Energy Review

Wow, this drink brings back a lot of memories. Visiting a Dollar General store near where I used to live was something that I did a lot, and I recall seeing this drink there a few years ago. That was around 2008, and finding this drink at a Big Lots in Calcutta, Ohio in July of 2012 wasn't exactly something that I expected. Naturally, if I found this at Big Lots it has been discontinued, but that doesn't mean that it's going to gone from Big Lots any time soon and for the sake of nostalgia and informing the curious I feel it is necessary to review this. Heavy Metal is a 32 oz. Monster energy drink, and is therefore a "BFC". The first time that I ever saw a BFC Monster was at Parris Island, South Carolina when I went there to see my Brother graduate boot camp. When I used to see Heavy Metal, I never tried it. I don't exactly remember why, possibly because I remember this drink simply being on shelves and I like to buy and drink cold energy drinks out of coolers. Anyway, without further ado let's see what Heavy Metal is all about in the can, taste, and buzz categories.

The Can:
Even after seeing the drink before, it's still impressive. The giant green, silver, and black can depicting a heavy metal concert still looks nice. Monster has changed, and although I'm not the biggest fan of Monster it's kind of obvious that Monster has been going in a different differection than they were a few years ago. Again, I'm not the biggest fan of Monster but to make a long story short I can't really see Monster putting out a drink like this today. The can doesn't contain a bunch of extra info, but it shouldn't need to either. It kind of speaks for itself, and I really can't find anything wrong with it. Although, the color of green used for the majority of the can kind of reminds me of the Incredible Hulk pudding they used to make. Heavy Metal also contains the standard Monster energy green tab on top, and all in all this can is pretty nice to look at.

The Drink:
I tend to struggle from time to time with describing energy drink tastes, and the thing with Heavy Metal is that it has no flavor description on the can. It's obviously not actually supposed to taste like "heavy metal" which would be kind of gross. When I opened the can and took a drink, it tasted a lot like grape fruit and had the kind of flavor that you can deal with if you want to. This isn't just the original Monster in a different can either, which is something that could understandably be thought. I won't lie, the flavor was good but began to get a bit old as I continued to drink it. It wasn't bad, but I don't know if it would be safe to say that everyone would like it, even giant fans of the original Monster energy as it tastes pretty different than that.

The Buzz:
Yes, I consumed all 32 oz. in one sitting. It was about 8:00 AM when I did, and hitting my body with 4000 mg. of Taurine and 4 servings of all of the other ingredients in the drink was surprisingly not my best idea. I was in a car for about an hour afterwards, and I would also like to note that this drink works quite well if you feel the need to induce urination. I was wired, and when I got to where I was going I had to go to the bathroom straight away. Although, I did not feel like I was going to die or even like I had way too much energy. Drinking it all at once definitely wasn't a good idea for obvious reasons, but the nice buzz that I got after drinking this wasn't bad with the exception of having to sit in a car with no access to a bathroom for a little bit.

For $1.50 at Big Lots, I would say that this drink was pretty well worth it. The taste wasn't really the best and was getting a bit hard to finish towards the end, but if you're really passionate enough to track this down at Big Lots and give it a try, you should be able to handle it. Of course, the buzz was very strong but didn't make me edgy or anything. If you collect energy drink cans, this drink might also be worth your while to add to your collection. Either way, I would say that it is worth a purchase and isn't too bad.

8 comments:

  1. I just got 2 of them at a Big Lots in Bridgeport, Ohio yesterday! They taste weird, but a good weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought 12. >.> haven't tasted it.... will before work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gross! It tastes like a dirty dish rag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I guess you put dirty dish rags in your mouth. Well then the taste should be familiar.

    For just a default energy drink flavor it's about the same. I think most of the basic flavored energy drinks taste close to each other. Some with a weaker taste while others have a stronger taste.

    If you really need a big energy pick up this will do and more. I would be careful with these seeing that the can is a 32oz. and it's loaded with more caffeine then anybody should really drink.

    I've had a few for those I need to stay awake times and I've enjoyed em. It surely does the trick on giving you that boost that you need.

    I've only found these at Big Lots and as of lately it's been rather hard to find them. I've never seen them for more then $1.50 and if you happen to see them and think it's something you want to get I would suggest you pick em up and get as many as you think you need cause my local Big Lots had them awhile back and then they sold out and didn't see anymore for more then 6 months. At $1.50 for 32oz. it's really cheap and you can't beat that kinda deal at all. If there's a way to keep the carbonated water or the drink from going flat it could last you a good while instead of drinking the whole 32oz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They still have them at my Big Lots! For any "old-timers" out there, they taste exactly like the Ecto-Cooler drink that Hi-C used to put out, only carbonated instead

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just went to Big Lots! yesterday and they have restocked on Heavy Metal. It wasn't where they normally stock them, they were right where you check out. There on a 3 way display right before you check out. I would suggest you go and look around if you don't find them. Make sure you stock up cause who knows when they'll be back.

    Also they've added Monster Assault in a 24oz can for $1.25.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got it at Big Lots, didn't notice the Heavy Metal on the can, assumed it was the original flavor in a larger form factor. Big mistake! It tastes a bit like cough syrup. Neither my wife nor I was able to stomach more than a sip each.

    ReplyDelete

Share your comments here!