Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Monster Rehab Protean Energy Review

I really liked the original Rehab drink when it came out, I stopped looking for Monster drinks for a few months and was somewhat surprised when I saw the three new flavors. I've already reviewed the Green Tea variety and it wasn't bad. I decided to pick up the other two varieties and give them each a try, Protean was definitely the one I was least looking forward to trying. I question why several Monster drinks have really similar designs, I really don't know. Also, I'm not lazy but I also don't do many things that getting a lot of protein would help me with like lifting weights or playing football or something. Still, it was a new energy drink to try and I was still interesting in trying it, that's for sure.


The Can:
As I mentioned, the design of this can is very similar to a few other Monster drinks out there. Due to the ingredients of the drink this design makes sense but the can design is getting old. I don't expect Monster to come up with something completely new for every drink but I think they should at least change it a bit color wise, I think a darker blue might have worked better. It's really hard to describe to be completely honest and I really don't know what to say other than that. Otherwise, it's pretty much your standard Monster can and doesn't look awful, Monster has always done a nice job with their products' designs, at least for the most part.

The Drink:
I guess I'll keep this easy and straight to the point. I've had over 100 drinks, and only once or twice have my taste buds been met with a drink as nasty as this one. This drink truly is disgusting, it wouldn't be bad at all if it weren't so thick. It tastes alright, but it's just the thickness that's bad and the aftertaste that makes things worse. Save your money unless you're in extreme need of an energy drink with protein, because this drink isn't that good. I was able to finish the can and I think most people could, but there are much better drinks for the same price or cheaper, taste-wise.

The Buzz:
If anything, at least you'll get a decent buzz with this drink. After drinking it, I felt much more energized afterwards as with most Monster drinks. The energy blend for each Rehab drink is the exact same as the next, pretty much. I would say that that buzz lasted for about 2 1/2-3 hours, but it wasn't anything extremely special either.

There are a few foods out there that I hate and others love, and it's the same with drinks. Some people just have tastes for weird tasting things. So, while I didn't enjoy this, maybe you will. However, it's very likely that you won't like the taste of it, so this will have to be the rare occasion where I do not recommend the drink that I review.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this drink really was nasty and as writer said as somebody that has tried a lot of energy drinks, not 200 but a lot, it's was one of 3 I did actually poor out (cause I had a regular monster in the floor).
    Some that I would suggest if you are still doing this there are two other drinks that are part of the dub series, I found the "Ballers blend" to be very nice

    ReplyDelete

Share your comments here!